Filbert Street


Mr M Riley

Goal 1:
van Hooijdonk(13min)

Goal 2:

Goal 3

Elliott pen (62min)

Goal 4

Guppy (82mins)

Leicester City
Beasant     Keller
Hjelde     Kaamark
Chettle     Ullathorne
Mattesson     Elliott
Rogers     Walsh
Stone     Izzet
Gemmill     Lennon
Bart-Williams     Zagorakis
Johnson     Impey
van Hooijdonk   Heskey
Harewood   Guppy
Substitutes     Substitutes
Crossley     Arphexad
Freedman     Parker
ShipperleyV     Fenton
Armstong     Savage
Gray     Taggart

© Nottingham Forest 1998

Leicester City 3 v 1 Nottingham Forest

van Hooijdonk

The Forest squad undoubtedly had some harsh words from Bassett after Monday's game at Wednesday, and it seemed to have done some good. Forest came out fired up and hitting hard. Harewood, playing up front with PvH, was all over the pitch. It was his work that led to Forest's goal on 13 minutes. He broke free with the ball and made a good run down the left. He passed the ball neatly across to PvH, waiting on the far post, who hit the ball under Keller as he dived to save. Forest played some good dominating football for the first half, but all the good work was all undone in a flash with some poor defending. Less than 2 minutes before the half time whistle Heskey, unmarked in the 6yd box, picked up a good cross and put the ball in the net.

Leicester's second goal came following a corner. The ball appeared to strike Johnson on the arm as it was being cleared. It did not seem to be a deliberate hand ball, but the penalty was given. And on 54 minutes Elliott sent Beasant the wrong way to make it 2-1. A few minutes later PvH was given a red card for a late tackle on Walsh. So with Forest one goal and one player down the second half became an uphill struggle. Leicester had a goal disallowed, but kept the pressure on. In an attempt to equalise Hjelde was taken off for Freedman. But the gamble backfired and Forest were finally buried on 75 minutes. Forest were exposed at the back and Leicester broke forward. With a wonderful finish Guppy scored: 3-1 Leicester nearly made it four when Bart-Williams was disposessed, but he managed to get back and prevent the goal. Then they nearly did it again, hitting the post on 85 minutes. So, in spite of the good start, another disappointing day with a relegation battle looking even more inevitable.