14th Nov.
Notts FA County Cup
The City Ground


Mr. P.Joslin

Goal One
Harewood 31 min.

Notts County
Roche   Lindley
Foy Bolland
Jenas Brough
Dawson Jorgensen
Calderwood Dyer
Gray Ford
Harewood Murray
John Rawle
Williams Meechan
Reid Liburd
Cooper Holmes
Substitutes     Substitutes
Collis   Hefferman
Freeman Deeney
Edds Dunn
Doyle McGraig

Report by Red Bran
Only the thick skinned made it to come and see the Final of the Notts F.A. County Cup, on this brisk November evening at The City Ground.

Today marked Stern John's return to fitness and it was also a chance to see some of Forest's youth in action. Platt had changed the formation to a more traditional 4-4-2 instead of the recent 3-5-2, which had helped Forest in their current four win streak. Forest started the match with some good possession a couple of good crosses from Andy Gray, gave the County defence some problems early on.

John having a couple of efforts on goal and Marlon Harewood causing his usual trouble from quick runs and his physical style of play. It wasn't until the fifteenth minute that County had their first sight of the ball with all possession going Forest's way, but with little chance for Harewood or John to get on the score sheet. The first real chance for Forest came in the 16 minute when Andy Reid found some space down the left wing and put in a good cross to John who tried a clever little chip up and volley only to hit it straight at James Lindley the County Goalkeeper.

County's first shot came on 21 mins with Richard Liburd shooting, but Forest's defence looked solid. Forest were the first to score on 31 mintues John playing a good ball out to Reid on the left, who in turn crossed for Harewood to slide in and beat the goalkeeper at the far post. County had a chance on 40mins when Meechan found some space but shot wide. Three minutes later Linburd who was starting to get into the game with his pace down the Left wing for County, crossed well for Meechan to get his head on the ball and force a good save from Barry Roche. A minute later John found himself one on one with the County defence and tried a chip over the keeper, only for the shot to go just wide. Forest finished the half with the lead and deservedly so, they had the majority of the possession.John and Harewood looked dangerous up front and Calderwood was marshalling the defence well.

County started the second half the livelier of the two but with no real chances coming to either team. Edds came on for Gray on 58 mins. County had a chance on 63mins when Mark Rawle's pace caused a scramble in the box but the defence held firm. Two minutes later Jenas played a good ball out to Reid on the left, who's cross looked dangerous for Counties defence, but they cleared well from the feet of Harewood. On 69mins Harewood showed some nice skill to beat four of County's defence but Holmes made a good tackle to deny Harewood from a good shot on goal, this got the only real applause of the game from the small crowd.

All in all a reasonable Forest performance in not a very exciting game. Harewood would probably be man of the match, he did just enough to separate the two sides on the night. A good performance from Andy Reid whose industry gave the County defence one or two problems and County's Richard Liburd played well down the left wing.

© Nottingham Forest 2000


Copyright © 2000 Nottingham Forest F.C.